Sunday, May 25, 2014

Am I Happy & Interested at School?

We have been hard at work with our project, in spite of dropping off the face of the blogging earth! It has been a busy time and I think I am also a little apprehensive about blogging in general. Book, book, book (Chicken noises)
Here's the update:
The surveys were administered the second week back after spring break, and we managed to get everyone! Here is it at the left in 2 jpeg files. I don't yet know how to upload a Word document or a PDF into a post using Blogspot- I'll put that on my Summer Learning To-Do list. The survey has 3 negatively-  and 17 positively-worded statements, a comment section, and a reflection on how the survey was completed. I spent a considerable amount of time researching and developing this survey, but I am not a statistician, so I am sure there are many imperfections. I won't be generalizing the findings, other than to use them for  discussion and to support future planning for instruction and assessment, with a technology twist, in our school.

The process -Students ranked the statements that best described them. Staff support was available if requested/required. Each rank (Never, Sometimes, Usually, Always, & Not Sure) was assigned a score (1,2,3,4,0 respectively).The 3 negative statements were scored in reverse. If students responded the same way to the negatively and positively- paired statements (example - I enjoy school and I do NOT like school), I had a conference with them to determine their thoughts. So, presumably the higher the score, the more happy and interested the student was a school. The maximum amount of points possible was 80. Anecdotes from the comment section were recorded and pie charts were made for using the reflection part - most of the students completed the survey independently - answer (a). Results were shared with the classroom teachers and the tech tools were embedded in the classrooms - so far the NEO2 seems to get the most use. The survey did take a good chunk of time to hand score, so I have plans to use SurveyMonkey for the June edition (along with some edits).  The results were then entered into an Excel Spreadsheet and shared with the teachers - stayed tuned for my next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment